First Congregational Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.) Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection has a number of items relating to the church including bulletins with the weekly worship service, histories, the dedication booklet for the present building in 1928 and a church directory from 1972.
- First Congregational Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.) (Creator, Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The First Congregational Church dates its beginnings to June, 1835. At this time they were joined by a group of Presbyterians. Their first worship space was located on West South Street just to the east of South Rose Street. In 1849 the congregation split and the Congregationalists built a new church a few years later at the corner of Academy and S. Park Streets where they continue to be today in 2010.
0.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is composed of items from the First Congregational Church of Kalamazoo, Michigan and range from 1919 to 1985.
Source of Acquisition
This collection had been called "Acquired" but was renamed in 2010 "First Congregational Church, Kalamazoo." In addition, A-1753 and A-2167 which had items from the church that were acquired, were cl
The collection amounts to .25 cubic feet and is composed of a wide variety of items from the First Congregational Church of Kalamazoo, Michigan. The items vary in size. The church bulletins are approximately 5"x7" and are four total pages. The booklets also are 5"x7" and the church directory is 8.5"x11". The collection is in good shape although some of the church bulletins are in delicate shape. In addition, the memorial service program page from 1898 is in two pieces.
- First Congregational Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.) Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US