Temple B'nai Israel Collection
Scope and Contents
The dedication booklet contains photographs of the second temple, Samuel Thurman, their rabbi, members of the Board and individual photographs of Meyer and Maurice Desenberg.
- Temple B'nai Israel (Kalamazoo, Mich.) (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Temple B'nai Israel, a reform congregation, traces its beginnings to 1866 although they first met the year before and purchased land next to Mountain Home Cemetery. Their first temple on East South Street, completed in 1875, was their home until they built a new building on South Park Street in 1911 where they were until 1946. Between 1946 and 1994 they did not have a permanent home, although for 19 years they held services at the People's Church. Currently their home is at 4409 Grand Prairie Road.
0.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is composed of four items from Temple B’nai Israel in Kalamazoo dating from 1911 to 2010.
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of five various programs from Temple B'nai Israel in Kalamazoo. They all generally are 5 ½"x8". The pages of the dedication program from 1911 have come apart and the cover is slightly dirty. Other than that the items are in good condition.
- Temple B’nai Israel Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US