Galesburg Grammar School Records
Scope and Contents
The collection is composed of one program dated Friday June 1st, 1894 from the Galesburg Grammar School located in Galesburg Michigan.
- Creation: 1894
- Galesburg Public School (Mich.) (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The village of Galesburg was established by George L. Gale when he came to Michigan in the fall of 1836. The village began as a settlement organized around a mill site and expanded to include a one-room school inside the first building erected in 1836. The first building was a frame structure erected by Philip Gray and was used as a store, dwelling, church and school.
The school was only in session in the winter when youth of the village were not needed on farms. The education center employed six teachers. By the 1860s, and with the expansion of the village of Galesburg, the school was relocated to a two-story brick structure built in the 1860s. By 1919, the school was graded and had graduated its first class under Superintendent Ross Ingersol in 1876. Based on the Kalamazoo Gazette issue published in early 1922s, the Galesburg grammar school was presumed to be grades 1st through 8 as it was named alongside the Galesburg High School.
In 1898 Galesburg High School’s football team was a record holder, victorious throughout the county. In 1919, the estimated population was 800 with attendance at the Galesburg Public Schools during that past year estimated at 194. A fire on March 22, 1920, devastated the school house, which was more than 50 years old at that time. The school house was rebuilt and continued to grow.
In 1951, members of the Galesburg community and those of neighboring Augusta joined to form a single public school district. Galesburg-Augusta Community Schools currently consist of a primary school and a high school in Galesburg, and a middle school in Augusta.
The history was summarized from the digitized pamphlet entitled Hightlights in Galesburg History MI 1919.
.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was purchased with the funds from the Starring Endowment.
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is comprised of one program which is dated 1894 from the Galesburg Grammar School located in Galesburg Michigan. The program measures 4 ½ x 9 inches and is single paged.
The program is a single sided paper with details of the end of year presentation that students did recitations, essays, and music for the Galesburg Grammar School. The program’s paper is red and information on page is printed with black ink. There is multiple different types of ink lettering on the program. There is a header, motto and then the title of presentation and date listed. The program lists for each student what type of medium they are doing, who wrote the song, essay or recitation and what student did each part.
The program is in decent condition although there is wear both bottom and top edges where it is torn and bent from age. There is a visible crease in the middle of the program from being folded for years. Along the edges the red paper has faded and been replaced by a brownish color by age. It is mostly darkened on the top and bottom edges of program. While the program has seen its wear it is still legible.
- Galesburg Grammar School Records finding aid
- Nicole Page; Stephanie Chapman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US