Mission Woods Sunday School Certificate
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of one certificate of membership for the Mission Woods Sunday School, located in Kalamazoo, Michigan. It certifies the membership of John Ullrich (1846-1912) as of August 1867.
- August 1867
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
The Woods Mission Sunday School started in 1864 and was the predecessor of the North Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo. According to the North Presbyterian Church website, it took fourteen years from 1864-1878 to develop the Mission Woods Sunday School into an organized church. The sunday school met at 2:30 pm on Sunday afternoons often, espcially in the winter, in schoolhouses.
Mission Woods church was, according to an 1876 edition of the Kalamazoo Gazette, located on the corner of Burdick and Ransom street. Sunday School was held at 2:30 PM. Based on the certificate dated August 1867, the school superintendent was D. O. Roberts, and the secretary was J. G. Ketchum. A notice at the bottom indicates that the design is copyrighted by "J. H. Bufford's Sons," 1876. Bufford's sons were print manufacturers based in Boston around this time, as seen by advertisements found in the Gazette and The Christian Statesman (1878 and 1880, respectively).
.05 Cubic Feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased with funds from the Starring Endowment.
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet. The certificate is a flat cardboard card measuring approximately 2.8x5.25". It features a printed illustration of a potted bouquet of flowers, with Ullrich's name written along the pot. Below that is plain text indicating the bestowment of membership to Ullrich. Very slight peeling of the print along a margin of the bottom edge, but all text is readable.
- Mission Woods Sunday School Certificate finding aid RH.A-4361
- Stephanie Chapman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in: English, Latin script.
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US