Nazareth Association papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes the documents from the Nazareth Association, the alumni association for Nazareth College and Nazareth Academy. A part of the collection relates to the Nazareth Association’s activities from 1991 to 2021. Another part relates to the institutions run by the Sisters of St. Joseph from ca. 1900 until the closure of Nazareth College in 1992.
The material reflects both the history of the Nazareth Association as well as the history of the five institutions operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph, including Nazareth College.
- Creation: 1991-2021
Conditions Governing Access
Some items are in poor condition and should be handled with care.
Biographical / Historical
The Nazareth Association was founded in 1992, although planning began in 1991, was dedicated to charitable, religious, and educational purposes, members primarily came from Nazareth institutions or the Sisters of St. Joseph, but membership was open to similarly minded community members. It aimed to continue the legacy of the educational institutes founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The Sisters of St. Joseph is a Catholic organization for women that is devoted to charity and religious activities. The first sisters came to Kalamazoo to start the Borgess Medical Center in 1889. They proceeded to open orphanages and educational establishments throughout Kalamazoo.
These establishments included St. Camillus/Borgess School of Nursing (1895-1972), Nazareth Academy (1897-1964), Barbour Hall (1902-1979), Nazareth College (1924-1992), and St. Joseph/Flint School of Nursing (1950-1972). Each of these institutions served a different educational purpose. Nazareth Academy served as a high school for young women, and Nazareth College was its higher education counterpart. Barbour Hall, on the other hand, was a military school for boys. the Borgess School of Nursing and the St. Joseph/ Flint School of Nursing, both dedicated to medical training, combined in 1972, becoming the Nazareth College Department of Nursing Education. The Nazareth Association continued to operate within the community, assisting alumni, and hosting various community events, for almost thirty years. In 2021 the Association voted to shut down operations permanently.
6 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
This collection amounts to 6.0 cubic feet of space and ranges in size from 2 ½” by 4” to 13” by 17” and are composed of a variety of documents ranging from newsletters and tax information to cassette tapes and picture books.
Most of the collection is printed or typed, a few documents include handwritten notes and messages. Newer documents in the collection such as the newsletters, financial information, and audio materials are in excellent condition. Older materials, especially the picture books from the early 1900s are fragile with damaged binding, are in poor condition and should be handled with care. Older documents show signs of aging such as yellowing and tearing but overall remain in reasonably decent condition
- Nazareth Association papers finding aid
- Hannah Garrod; Stephanie Chapman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US