The Alphadelphia Society newsletter
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of one folder containing a newsletter from the Alphadelphia Society called the “Primitive Expounder” (no.15) dated June 12, 1845.
- June 12, 1845
- Alphadelphia Association (Organization) (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Alphadelphia Society was formed in March 1844 and originally there were 56 members from Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw, Genesee, Jackson, Eaton, Calhoun, and Kalamazoo counties. The societies first and only known president was Dr. H. R. Schettery of Ann Arbor. Dr. Shettery’s vision for the society was for an Arcadian healthfulness and enjoyment of Spartan fidelity and frugality, however the society closed in April 1848.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This item was found in the Galesburg Library Historical Commission collection A-315.
The newsletter is in slightly poor condition; there are heavy amounts of staining, yellowing, and tearing around the edges of the item. The item is printed in black lettering and the item is still legible but due to the deterioration of the pages, the item should be handled with care. The size of the newsletter when folded is 7” x 10”, when fully opened the size is 26.75” x 19.75”.
- The Alphadelphia Society newsletter finding aid
- Ian Daly; Stephanie Chapman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US