Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church papers
Scope and Contents
This collection is composed newsletters from the Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church from 1924-1926. The newsletters themselves contained general announcements from the church followed by local news from the township and Sunday announcements. This was a weekly publication.
- Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
Not much is known about the Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was organized in the fall of 1853 and as of 2021. The church is still active located on Stadium Drive, near 9th Street.
According to the Oshtemo Historical Society, the Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church was officially established by the trustees in 1861. In 1866, the first Methodist church was built in Oshtemo. The church was later remained Oshtemo United Methodist Church. For a full historical account see OHS Meeting Minutes for September 20, 2012.
Attempts to find more information about the church were inconclusive.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The material was found at an estate sale for Genevieve Moredyk.
This collection consists of three folders containing newsletters from the Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church from 1924-1926. The newsletters overall are in good condition. They are type written and legible. In terms of damage, there are small stains, tears, and various amounts of yellowing throughout the newsletters. Some type has faded. The size of the newsletters are 8.5” x 14”.
- Oshtemo Methodist Episcopal Church papers Finding Aid
- Stephanie Chapman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US