Michigan Female Seminary Collection
The collection is composed of various materials from the Michigan Female Seminary and date from 1872 until 1902.
- Created: 1872-1904
- Michigan Female Seminary (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
The Michigan Female Seminary, opened in January, 1867, was a private school supported by the Presbyterian Church. It provided education for young girls aged fifteen and above. It was located on top of a hill on the northwest corner of Gull and Riverview. Eventually it offered college-level classes that could be transferred to the University of Michigan. The school remained open until 1907.
0.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Acquired Collections and the Starring Endowment
The collection amounts to .25 cubic feet and is composed of catalogs, programs, Oak Leaves, a speech and one photograph. The items range from 5 ½”x4” to 7”x8 ¾”. They are in fairly good condition although some of the programs are discolored at the edges and the paper is very delicate. The catalogs are filled with a wide variety of information including classes, calendar, and names of teachers, trustees and students. Some of the later editions contained black and white photographs of the building, both interior and exterior shots, the grounds and the students. The Oak Leaves is filled with student writings and notes about students and alumni along with advertisements for local businesses.
- Michigan Female Seminary Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US