St. Peter’s United Church of Christ Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is composed of four folders from St. Peter’s United Church of Christ in St. Joseph Michigan. One folder contains a 50th anniversary souvenir album and the other three contain pictures from the church’s 50th anniversary. The church opened in 1882, it is now closed and the building has been sold to another church but it is not known when it closed.
- Creation: 1932
- St. Peter's United Church of Christ (Saint Joseph, Mich.) (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Congregation of St. Peters United Church was founded by the German community in St. Joseph Michigan in July of 1881 as The United Evangelical St. Peter’s Congregation with Reverend Aime Ebinger as he presiding pastor. The church was built in fall of 1872 and officially opened on December 17, 1872.
Many renovations were completed for the church after lightning struck and nearly burnt the church to the ground in 1883. These renovations included two towers on the front corners of the church, a taller steeple, a parsonage built in the 1880s and a renovation of the sanctuary in 1892.
The Congregation split in 1920 and many members left.
The church officially changed its name to St. Peter’s United Church of Christ in 1962 after the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Church of Christ united in 1957. It is not known when the church closed but it is now closed and the building has been sold to another church.
Language of Materials
A 50th anniversary souvenir album from St. Peter's United Church of Christ in Saint Joseph, Michigan, August 2,1932. Black-and-white photgraphs from the 75th anniversary celebration in 1957.
This collection contains a souvenir album from the church’s 50th anniversary celebration on August 2, 1932 and a collection of black and white photographs from the church’s 75th anniversary celebration. The album is in poor condition, the front cover and many pages are falling apart, torn, creased, and have been scribbled on in pencil. The album is 11” by 8 ½”. The album contains information about the history of the church and each of its Reverends as well as black and white photographs of the church and its congregation from 1932. The collection of photographs is from the 75th anniversary book for the church. They are in good condition. They depict the church’s choirs, Sunday school and congregation.
- St. Peter’s United Church of Christ Finding Aid
- Anna Yacullo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US