D.C. Wooden Company Collection
Scope and Contents
The D.C. Wooden Company was founded by Durward C. Wooden (18 Jul 1892 - Nov 1986) of Kalamazoo, MI. The earliest the company is found in the city directories is 1922, at 419-421 Church St. By 1935 the company had relocated to 344 Henrietta St. D.C. Wooden was married twice and in both situations his wife held a role in the company, usually the company treasurer. The company would last into the 1960s, until it was sold to Victor Comptometer in 1964. At the time it had 20 employees and was producing business forms. D.C. Wooden would live out the rest of his life in Kalamazoo before dying in November of 1986.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1920-1960
1 items ; 3.5 x 7.5 inches
Language of Materials
The size of the ink blotter is about 3.5 x 7.5 inches in size. It is green in color for the most part with some red trimmings. The blotter was used by an unknown individual or individuals, but has ink markings on both sides. The blank side of the blotter has seen much more use over time. The printing on the front of the blotter is advertising for the products that the D.C. Wooden Company sold, which was metal office equipment.
On the ink blotter the name of the company is listed as W.C. Wooden Company, which has to be a misprint. D.C. Wooden Company is the actual name of the company that was located at 344 Henrietta St. which is near the old Kalamazoo Gazette Building in present-day Kalamazoo, MI.
The collection is made up of a single used ink blotter created as advertising by the D.C. Wooden Company, a dealer in metal office equipment on 344 Henrietta St. here in Kalamazoo, MI from the early 1920s to the early 1960s.
This booklet was purchased through the Charles R. Starring Endowment Fund.
- D.C. Wooden Company Collection Finding Aid
- Matthew Eugene Machinski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US