Skip to main content

First Methodist Church of Kalamazoo Collection

Identifier: RH-A-39

Scope and Contents

The First Methodist Church, known now as the First United Methodist Church, began in 1833. Its first building was located on the southeast side of Church Square then they moved to the northwest side of South Rose and West Lovell Streets. In 1929, they built their new church on the northeast corner of South Park and Academy Streets. The collection has a variety of materials including a wide variety of weekly bulletins which included the Sunday worship service. Also included are various histories written to commemorate various celebrations.


  • Creation: 1916-1983


Conditions Governing Access

No restrictions


0.50 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials



The collection is composed of materials from the First United Methodist Church in Kalamazoo, Michigan and span the years 1916-1983.

Related Materials

First United Methodist Church of Kalamazoo, a history written by David Kohrman, Kalamazoo Public Library staff, July 2013. Based on an earlier sketch by Fred Peppel.

Physical Description

The collection amounts to approximately .50 cubic feet and is composed of a wide variety of materials like handbooks, calendars, historical booklets and weekly bulletins with worship service included from the First Methodist Church in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The materials vary in size from 3 ½"x5 ½" to 8 ½"x11". The materials both are in black-and-white and color and on a wide variety of paper. The condition of the materials for the most part is good although there are some weekly bulletins that are worn and folded. The covers of both of the Dedication booklets from 1929 are worn.

First Methodist Church of Kalamazoo Collection Finding Aid
Lynn Houghton
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository

Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US
(269) 387-8490