The Hikers Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of three club program schedules for The Hikers, a club which began in 1921. The three club program booklets are from 1932, 1941 and 1947 and contain membership roster with names and contact information along with officers and a yearly schedule of activities, including monthly meetings and hikes around the community.
Biographical / Historical
According to an October 18, 1922 Kalamazoo Gazette article, the Hikers’ club was formed in 1921 by a group of women who wanted to get outside with others and hike around the area. It was said, "The organization is kept as simple as possible as the purpose of the club is not to work but to band together a group of women with similar ideals about recreation." The schedule at this time included hikes held on the weekend to various spots or attendance at concerts like the Kalamazoo Symphony or football games. By 1946 there seemed to be monthly gatherings and a total of approximately twenty-two members.
.05 Cubic Feet (1 folder in a multiple-item full-size legal Hollinger) : 3 booklets in 1 folder ; Each booklet 8.50"x5.25"
Language of Materials
The programs are all approximately 8 ½”x5 ¼”. Each is a distinct color of colored paper with individual writing or even cut out letters on the covers. Inside are several sheets of paper with typed information. There also is stamps and stickers from the Kalamazoo Public Library where these items had been before they came here. Two of the programs, 1932 and 1946 are in good condition although the one from 1941 has a front and back cover which has been bent and torn.
These three booklets had been a part of A-441, Kalamazoo Public Library, but a decision was made to separate this collection into smaller collections.
- Kalamazoo Public Library (Donor, Organization)
- The Hikers Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US