State Theatre Collection
Scope and Contents
The State Theatre, designed by John Eberson, is an example of an atmospheric theatre. Completed in 1927, it replicated a Mediterranean/Spanish courtyard with statues, coves and a moving sky with clouds and stars. It had motion pictures, vaudeville acts and theatrical performances. It was built by the W.S. Butterfield Company and located on the west side of South Burdick between Cedar and W. Lovell Streets. It remained a theatre for motion pictures until the mid-1980s and in 2010 is a site for occasional concerts.
- Created: 1942-1982
- State Theatre (Kalamazoo, Mich.) (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
0.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is composed of programs from the State Theatre located in Kalamazoo and date from 1942 to 1982.
Source of Acquisition
These items came to the Archives from the Parchment Community Library, from the Dean Arend Collection (A-1191) and from the WMU Department of Theater Collection.
The programs range from 7”x10” to 5 ½”x9” to 7”x4 ½”. There are some small tickets that are 3 ½”x2”. The programs are on a variety of paper stock in various colors with black print. Several of them have an illustration of the building on the cover and include advertisements from various businesses. The programs are in good condition with only one showing a little wear at the top. Some of the programs are slightly yellowed.
- State Theatre Collection finding aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US